Monday, August 25, 2014

"Lord, please bless our political leaders as they deal with the pressing issue of immigration:" Responses to Immigrants in Atlanta

“Lord, please bless our political leaders as they deal with the pressing issue of immigration. We pray to the Lord.” I heard this statement during a May 2010 Sunday mass in a Catholic church (with a predominantly white middle-class congregation) in the Buckhead neighborhood of Atlanta, and my attention was roused. At first, I wasn’t sure what I had heard. I thought the speaker was going to ask God for help regarding the recession or the war, but instead – I heard correctly! - The prayer was for help with immigration. Although I don’t attend church as much as my mother (or my grandmother) would want or like me to, I don’t recall ever hearing any prayers that identified immigration as a problem in need of God’s guidance and help. Normally, prayers are made for those who are sick, homeless, unemployed, troubled, or recently deceased, or for issues that the church deems as “sins,” or against what is said in the Bible, such as abortion and homosexuality. The prayer was a telling statement about the public opinion of the influx of immigrants into the southern metropolis.

Immediately I felt uncomfortable. Right there in this place of worship, my family (which includes people at various stages of the immigration process, from resident alien to naturalized citizen) and the Afro-Caribbeans in my study were being labeled as a problem that required divine intervention. The large increase in the foreign-born population in Atlanta over the past three decades has stimulated a mixture of reactions and feelings from the city’s native/long-term residents, and the local government. The city has made strides to incorporate their immigrant newcomers, for example, by legally recognizing June as Caribbean American Heritage Month and allowing the CAHM planning committee to use city hall (for free) for the opening reception. However, the message I received in this one church in the Buckhead section of Atlanta was that immigrants were not welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment