Saturday, February 12, 2011

Snapshots of Fun Atlanta Peachtree Caribbean Carnival (2010)

If a picture says a thousand words, I hope these pictures say it all. Instead of telling you about my second Atlanta Carnival experience, I thought I would just show you. A few things that you should know is that my dad (who acts like he is Mr. Caribbean) came down from Boston to experience Atlanta Carnival, and visit me (of course). During Carnival 2009,  I didn't get a chance to see the parade because I was out partying until dawn the night before (all in the name of research). 

I tried very hard not to compare Atlanta Carnival to the infamous New York Carnival (the oldest and largest Caribbean carnival in the US), but I couldn't help but notice the obvious differences between the two carnivals. As a researcher, I had a great experience, observing and taking pictures of the festivities and the people. But, as a carnival-lover, I ...well... had less than a great experience. My dad, on the other hand, really enjoyed himself, and pointed out to me that Atlanta Carnival had the same elements as other US carnivals, including New York's  (i.e., bands, big trucks, masqueraders, steel pan bands, vendors, etc), but on a smaller scale. I don't know if that is true, since I have only been to two other US carnivals---Boston and New York, which are both older, bigger, and more well-known than Atlanta Carnival.  I don't want to deter anyone from experiencing this carnival for yourself. Check out the pictures below and judge for yourself.

One Love 

we started at the last band on the road

and they are ready to mash up the road













No comments:

Post a Comment