Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Caribbean Events in Atlanta

There is an active Caribbean nightlife in Atlanta, both within the city limits and in its outer suburbs. Almost every night of the week, somewhere, there is a Caribbean party hosted by one of the Caribbean clubs in Stone Mountain, held in one of several of the city’s night clubs, or in the reggae rooms that are designated to play reggae and other Caribbean music during their regular weekly parties. The proliferation of Caribbean parties is a clear marker of the growing presence of Afro-Caribbeans in Atlanta. One migrant explained to me the impact on the city’s music and club scene: “If you go out on regular black night, you may hear 20 minutes of reggae all night. But now at First Fridays party Trendz does a Caribbean room and most clubs and parties now have a room where you can hear reggae and soca because they know we come out and spend money. This has happened in last 5 years.” During the time I was in Atlanta, from May 2009 to August 2010, about 4 Caribbean parties or reggae rooms cropped up in various clubs and lounges across the city. I attended the opening nights of the Caribbean parties at several lounges throughout the Atlanta area. These new Caribbean-themed parties were growing in popularity in the Caribbean community. Several of my Afro-Caribbean respondents, when I asked them about the Caribbean events they attended, they told me that they had also attended the new Caribbean nights at the non-Caribbean clubs in the city.

There are also many social and cultural events that cater to the Caribbean community in Atlanta, including bi-monthly mixers and networking events aimed at Caribbean professionals hosted by a networking group called A We Kinda Ting. I was told about it by one of my respondents. I tried to attend one of their events but the registration filled up quickly and I couldn’t attend. From those who attended, I heard it the event was filled with middle-aged Caribbean professionals. Caribbean food festivals have also been gaining popularity in the area. While I was in Atlanta there were two main food festivals, the Caribbean Cookout and the Jerk Festival. The festivals are growing in popularity and infusing Caribbean food into the southern metropolis that is known for its soul food.

No comments:

Post a Comment